Monday, November 8, 2010

One Week Down

I made my official start of P90X last Monday.  I'm doing the lean version instead of the classic version because I'm hoping to burn more fat instead of build more muscle.  There's a different workout everyday Monday through Saturday.  Sunday is either a day of rest or X-Stretch.  Guess which I chose?  Well in my defense I was preparing for a birthday party and even that extra hour of daylight savings went to getting that ready.  Ab Ripper-X is also thrown in after two of the workouts each week.  It's 16 minutes of torture.  One day I may be able to keep up with that one, but definitely not on week 1!

Mondays are Core Synergistics and probably my least favorite of all the workouts.  I am absolutely terrible at doing push-ups or any kind of exercise remotely resembling a push-up.  Again, hopefully one day I may be able to successfully keep up with the DVD on these but definitely not right out the gate.  Saturdays are Kenpo.  Now that's a fun workout and well worth taking time away from Saturday morning cartoons!  I'd like to think it's even teaching me a little self defense.  It's all about punches, kicks, and blocks.  Everything is incredibly do-able (by a beginner!) and no equipment required.  The best part of it: being called vibrant after I had finished.  I honestly can't remember the last time anyone used that word to describe me!  Now, I'm looking forward to hearing it again! =)

There's a laundry list of equipment you're supposed to have before you start P90X.  I don't have any weights or a pull-up bar, or yoga blocks, or really anything else on the list.  The only thing I do have is a set of cheap resistance bands, which do their job.  Or at least they can do their job as long as my toddler doesn't pick them up and run away with them while I'm in the middle of the workout!  The only piece of equipment that I feel I might need is a yoga mat.  I never really saw the purpose in these until I did the yoga workout and started slipping and sliding all over the carpet.  Although if I was a little better at the Core exercises I might not have that problem as much!

The scale hasn't been as friendly as I would have liked this week.  I was really hoping for some drastic results, but it has only been one week.  It's not like I was doing the Biggest Loser or anything!  I did see a number on the scale that I haven't seen in a long time, and I'm down another 2 pounds. That's even after the birthday cake I had yesterday.  They say it takes 21 days for something to become a habit, so I need to make sure I stick to this like glue for 2 more weeks.  After that things should be easy right?  Well, like I said before....baby steps.  One week at a time.  One week is already behind me.  And right now I'm even tempted to throw in an extra cardio workout today just because of all the party food we had yesterday.

1 comment: