Friday, January 18, 2013

DIY Wall Art - Inspiration Leads to Creation

A few weeks ago, my best friend tipped me off to this post at Young House Love with a great DIY wall art project.  I love recreating fantastic things that I find (or am shown) online, and this was definitely worthy of recreating!  In fact, that piece was inspired by a poster seen on Pinterest!  I just love how the world goes 'round!

My painting inspired by Young House Love

Anyway, I won't walk you through a tutorial...that website has already done it.  But I'll show you the few photos I took along the way.  My piece is smaller, but it still looks great even from across the room.  I only had a 16x20 canvas on hand (and unfortunately no Michael's coupons at the time).  As you can see I also chose a different color scheme.  We are all about the grays in this house, literally!  I'm thinking about taking just one of the white spaces and making it a bright color to pop out, like orange or even red.  We'll see.  I'm still debating.

Getting the canvas setup is a bit time consuming, but I don't think this is the sort of design you could free hand!  I used a corner of an index card to get the points.


Here's what it looked like just before I started painting.  


And just after I finished.  It was actually still wet in that picture.  I wish I had snapped one about halfway through.  At one point I almost stopped, and was going to keep it unfinished because I liked the effect it created.  I had about half of the canvas completely done and just a few spaces blocked in on the other half making a gradient effect.  I may need to make another one!  


No comments:

Post a Comment